The Role of the Advance Care Planning Organization Faculty
As Respecting Choices® (RC) sought ways to transfer the knowledge and skills in creating successful advance care planning (ACP) program dissemination and sustainability, it identified the need to mentor individuals to assume an expert leadership role after initial implementation services have been provided by RC.
These individuals, referred to as Organization Faculty (OF), are mentored and certified by RC to lead First Steps® (FS), Next Steps (NS), and/or Last Steps® (LS) ACP implementation and dissemination within a healthcare system or a geographic community.
RC OF provide leadership for program development and system-wide implementation of ACP across health systems to meet strategic objectives, which include:
- Establishing the clinical and business case for ACP programs;
- Performance monitoring;
- Measurement and reporting of implementation progress; and
- Critically evaluating growth opportunities.
RC OF Responsibilities
- Coordinating activities of ACP
- Identifying appropriate resources for dissemination
- Certifying, mentoring, and maintaining competency of FS, NS, and/or LS ACP Facilitators and Instructors
RC OF Benefits
- Acceleration in the dissemination of the program
- Certification to teach the RC Facilitator, Instructor, and Design and Implementation courses
- Added assurance for a program’s sustainability
- Ability to replicate the RC services
- Acquisition of a higher level of competence and skills in leadership, consultation, systems redesign, education and training, community engagement, and quality improvement