Consistent with its mission to create and update services, curriculum, and other materials, Respecting Choices® (RC) strives to integrate experiential evidence, research, and best practices that foster and support person-centered care.
RC partners with organizations, such as Gundersen Health System in La Crosse, Wisconsin, to test and improve materials and programs in “clinical laboratories.”
The RC evidence base has grown through research projects using all or parts of the RC model being conducted in many settings in the United States, Australia, Singapore, Germany, and many other European countries. For more information, visit our Research and Reports page.
In the last several years, RC has selected national advisory groups to assist in the development or refinement of new or existing curricula, materials, and services. Examples include an advisory group for the 2015 Last Steps® ACP Facilitator and Instructor Certification courses (curricula and materials) and another group providing input on creating new modalities for delivering the Next Steps ACP intervention.
The utilization of advisory groups benefited the development of the physician curriculum, “Shared Decision Making in Serious Illness (SDMSI).” Learning from experts in the field, this approach has led to high-quality products.
The SDMSI Advisory Group members include:
Rose Seavolt, BSN, RN, CCP
- Spectrum Health
- Next Steps Organization Faculty
- MyLife Care Planning
Carole Montgomery, MD, FHM, MHSA
- Spectrum Health
- Vice President, Clinically Integrated Pathways
Tracy Ellen Lippard, MD
- Clinical Lead for Complex Needs, Care Management Institute, Kaiser Permanente
- Medical Director of Geriatrics & Medicare – KP Colorado
- Internal Medicine & Geriatric Medicine
- Longmont Medical Office
Anna Scott, RN, MSN, MHA, CHPN
- Manager Life Care Planning
- First Steps Organizational Faculty
- Advanced Steps Instructor
- Kaiser Permanente Health Plan
- Clinical Quality & Population Health
Sanders Burstein, MD
- (former) Medical Director, Dartmouth-Hitchcock Nashua
- Co-Director, Honoring Care Decisions
Jonathan R. Sande, MD
- Advance Care Planning Director
- Essentia Health – East
- Ethics Program Director
- St. Mary’s Medical Center
- Essentia Health – Duluth Clinic
- Hematology Oncology
The goal of RC is to continue expanding the creation and utilization of national and international advisory groups. More information regarding additional advisory group members will become available as permissions are obtained. Submit a General Contact Form to be notified when new information is added.